I really enjoyed the loving kindness exercise. I performed this during my lunch at work and I found that when I returned to work (medical assistant) I had an overwhelming desire to be extra kind to coworkers and show sincere compassion to patients. I even felt compelled to show loving kindness to a collogue who has been especially…..well…bitchy lately. Sorry could think of another description.
The Integral Assessment was also interesting. The areas I determined as sources of suffering were not the areas I determined were ready for growth and development. Although I am considered healthy by “regular” assessment s (healthy BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol, ect) I chose fitness and nutrition as areas for growth at this point. I feel that I am a very kinesthetic person, biological health is something I understand, and I feel that higher levels of fitness, nutrition, and self-regulation is my gateway into higher levels of integral health. My social activism is where I consider myself the lowest level. Between working full time, full time school, and doctors visits to deal with infertility I do not have the time to be giving back to society in the way I would like. However, I feel that I can easily improve worldly flourishing, but making by work meaningful and by sharing the knowledge I am learning with colleagues and patients. One of my sources of suffering may be in the interpersonal quadrant as is too personal to share and one of my sources of suffering may be in the psychospiritual quadrant having to do with searching for meaning and life purpose. These are areas however that I am prepared to put the necessary work into at this time.
Hello Sacha,
ReplyDeleteGood job with your blog this week. I enjoyed the loving kindness exercise also. I also found that it made me want to be extra nice to people. I think it is great that you were nice to coworker who has not treated you the same way lately. I think it is great that you chose fitness and nutrition as areas for growth. Since Americans seem to keep growing outward, we can all probably use some help with fitness and nutrition. I know, I myself, have just started trying to get more exercise. I just not feel like I am in great shape and really need more muscle and a more toned body. I also could use some help with eating. I tend to crave fatty mexican food lately. Being busy does make it hard to find time for ourselves but all we can do is try. Great job with your blog this week.
Tabatha
Ive noticed that a lot of people are using fitness and nutrition as their way to improve themselves. Why do you think most people feel this way and why is this an area where people feel short in? Do you suppose because of Western culture we place a large amount of stress on outward appearence and therefore if we dont fit a certain image then then someone will quit trying?
ReplyDeleteThe social work aspect is a difficult part for me too, how does one find the time to help others when you only have a small amount of time for yourself? And something that pops into my head on occasion, who is there to reach out to me? I believe during those times when you only have a short moment to reach out to someone, it's okay to reach to those close and who are meaningful to you. It would then help reinforce the bond between each other and at a later time maybe the two of you can together reach out to others. I don't feel anyone should feel guilty for wanting to first take care of yourself and then take care of others when necessary. After all, if you are not well physically and spiritually, how are you going to effectively help those around you?
ReplyDeleteSacha,
ReplyDeleteDid you find that because you were doing this exercise on your lunch hour that you were distracted at all or were not able to fully give this exercise the attention that it needed?
I like the comments that you and Elizabeth discussed about not having enough time for ourselves and still being able to help others. But I read a book once at a very low time in my life and it talked about motherhood and it's demands and how can we possibly give all we can to our kids when we are completely depleted of what we need. We often feel guilty for taking time for ourselve when so much needs to be done. But the example they gave in the book was this: Say you are on an airplane with your child and the pilot says that suddenly everyone has to put on their oxygen masks because there is not enough oxygen in the air. Many mothers would not think of themselves and would automatically just put the mask on the child. Right? However, that child cannot hold the mask on themselves nor can they calm themself down, etc. during this process. So the mom first needs to get the oxygen she needs for herself to continue to help her child and provide them with the oxygen they need as well. I thought this was a great way to look at it and maybe to help us all feel a little less guilty about taking the time we need to get our physical and emotional and even spiritual lives where they need to be so that we can be who and what we need to be for our spouses and our children as well in the future.
Great post!
Kris Sinclair
Sacha you have made some wonderful observations about yourself. In regards to giving back to society or the community, it is alright. Don't be too hard on yourself. Consider how much you will be able to give back when you are finished with school. At that point you will have some great knowledge to share and will help many. I believe that there is a time and place for each of us to contribute. And maybe it isn't happening the way you would like at the current moment, but in fact you are contributing. You are pursuing your education and while doing so you are still caring. I am sure when a situation arises, you will be kind and you will be giving.
ReplyDeleteAnita Fetzer
Sacha, do not I think you should feel you are not giving back because by your sharing your knowledge you are helping someone, having a poitive affect on their lives. I think alot of the time we feel we are not giving back because we are not making "grand" overtures. But, we forget, small jestures of kindness can have positive impacts as well. Also, I have a person at my job like the co-worker you mentioned, that I have to send loving kindness to, there is one in every work environment I'm sure. Thank God!, we have knowledge of this exercise to help us cope with them. LOL
ReplyDeleteI felt the same way about some parts of my assessment. Some areas I know that I really need to work on I'm just not ready to work on yet. When I first started reading this text I felt overwhelmed by how much work I needed to put in to accomplish true integral health and human flourishing. Now I realize that I can work on just one area at a time and it makes the task more manageable. Great post!
ReplyDeleteNicole Styer
I feel similar toward my assessment just as most everyone else. I am a work in progress and I see more and more day by day what I can work on and try to get better at. Some days it is interpersonal and other days it might be psychospiritual. I haven't gotten down at which levels I need to work at because I am shakey in those quadrants. I did not think I would be but these practices and assessments bring out your true nature and not what or who you think you are! WoW, that's me?
ReplyDeleteI know these practices will take tremendous time and effort to become truly effective, but I'd have to agree with you, Sacha, that the assignment resulted in a more calming and patient afternoon for me. I tried it three times this week...wish I'd gotten to it more, but self-discipline has not been the highest priority this week since the kids are just recently out of school...they are going nuts!
ReplyDeleteThe exercises we've been doing have offered opportunities to remove negative attitudes, impatient tendencies and create opportunities to engage compassionately with gentleness in a more effective way. Just a few attempts, even the ones that get interrupted seem to help me focus, quiet my mind and act more proactively with a clearer mind and prepared heart.
Thanks for sharing you experiences with us this week!
Melissa Rasberry
Hi I will have to try that when I have a stressful day at work and go to lunch and mediate and come back in a more happy place with myself and peace of mind to handle what every day I was having. I find it helpful with my daughter and boyfriend when I feel that they have put me in a bad moody it makes me much better with them I just go get in a quite place and listen to the ocean and it changes my hole attitude towards them I am much happier when I have learned these new techniques.
ReplyDeleteLisa Kimbrough