Friday, June 8, 2012

Week 8: Contemplative Practices

We have been introduced to several contemplative practices. The Journey on Relaxation had us envision blood moving though our body, providing nutrient and energy to needed part, the Crime of the Century had us envision different light emanating from different areas of the body, and Meeting Asclepius had us envision a mentor or guide with all their qualities and being able to connect with that being and incorporate their qualities. While I liked the concept of these visualizations, especially Meeting Asclepius, I struggled though the whole process to actually see or have any images in my head. I just saw black and would then be so focused on trying to have an image in my head that I gained very little from the experience.
There were also contemplative practices that had us tap into emotions and feeling as appose to visions. We had a guided meditation on loving kindness that have us connect with the feeling of love and expand this feeling out to others even our enemies. There was also a loving kindness exercise in our book, involving wishing health happiness and wholeness to all individuals. This week we had an exercise that had us tap into feelings of happiness, wholeness, and radiant health.  These exercises were much more affective for me. I could feel love welling up inside me and emanating out when I practices both the loving kindness exercises. I then left the exercise seeing everyone has precious beings deserving of all the world has to offer.  I feel that I could incorporate this into a daily morning meditation. In addition, whenever I am experiencing frustrations with coworkers, loved-ones, or even strangers, I could pause for a moment and do this exercise.  When completing this week’s exercise I instantly felt better about myself. I could also clearly see imagines. I found it interesting that when ask to envision something I saw nothing, but when ask to tap into a feeling I saw clear images. I could also incorporate this into a daily meditation, but in addition use it when I am feeling low on energy or having negative thoughts about myself.
We then had the subtle mind exercise. This required us to concentrate on our breathing as a means to taming our minds and quieting the chatter. In the past I would practice an exercise like this for 30 minutes every morning, but at this point in my life I am having a difficult time. I get antsy and start thinking about all the things I need to do. I realize however that it is more important than ever right now.  Instead of 30 minutes or even 15 minutes, I am committing to five minutes a morning, so that I can make a realistic and attainable goal. Like the loving kindness and Taste of Human Flourishing exercises I can practice this throughout the day. When a car is “driving too slow” instead of getting frustrated I can take the time to focus on my breathing or when there is a free moment at work instead of thinking “OK, what can I do now”, I can take a minute or even 30 seconds to focus on my breathing.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sacha,

    I am glad to know that I am not the only one that has a tendency to get antsy when trying to meditate or do one of the exercises. That is when I really realize how important it is to learn how to quiet our mind and be in the moment. I did the very same thing; started out with shorter increments of time and built on that. I really do like the technique of focusing on our breathing, because somehow that just creates a clearing of some kind and refreshes me.

    I find that interesting that when you try to envision something that you saw nothing, but when you tapped into a feeling you could see clear images. That is a great idea to use the technique when you are feeling low on energy or having negative thoughts about yourself.

    I sometimes get anxious when driving, so I concentrate on breathing to calm and relax myself.

    Cherri Looney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the visualization the best. I felt so much better after doing the exercise. The funny thing is, i have been using the visualization technique all along, even before this class. I felt comfortable doing this, like it was a natural thing for me. I still have my bad days, but I think of a visualization, and it really helps me. I am the type of person that always has negative thoughts and low self-esteem, but after this exercise, I have notice a little change in me. I would recommend this to all of my friends. Good luck to you, Jean St.John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sacha, there were several parts or moments of prescribed reading that I enjoyed. I think the chapters we read put a polished finish product of integral health. The visualization techniques are something I can do. I was always a daydreamer in grade school so I found it quite easy for me to still my mind and visualize. Although I have to pick the appropriate time, I found that I could visualize and bask in the visualization easy appending it to the other practices for one whole and complete process of human flourishing. I also, enjoyed the thought of implementing and practicing integral health to the wellness center my wife and I aspire to open someday in the near future. This modality of health is grossly overlooked in this part of the country and I think that just reading about how the center works and the little knowledge I have gained from this course could be a pivotal and vital part of a wellness center. It has expanded my perspective on the wellness center altogether. I enjoyed reading about how the healers are learning themselves as well as teaching others. This allows for a deeper interconnectedness and the reciprocal of learning from healer to patient and patient to healer experience. In this connection we will find the essence of our true selves and with the practices set in place, pick up any practice where it may be needed along our path to human flourishing. The taste of human flourishing is now within our DNA, I feel confident that these creative visualizations can help the discovery of my essence in all facets of life as well as human experiences. (Dacher, 2012).
    References:
    Dacher, E. S. (2006). Integral Health: The Path to Human Flourishing. Laguna Beach, CA. Basic Health Publications Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had an easier time doing the exercises based on emotion. I'm glad we got the chance to do a variety of exercies in class to see which one works best for us as an individual. I think that the exercises I didn't do good on are still important, and I may try them a few more times to see if I can get them to work. Yet, as Dacher explains, we need to figure out which areas of our human flourishing and integral health we want to focus on (Dacher, 2006). For now I may focus on just the areas I am good at and work at them until I feel I have achieved as much as I can from them. What do you plan to do? Are you going to go back and work on the exercises you didn't get the results you wanted? Are you going to focus primarily on the ones that you did good on? Great post!
    Nicole Styer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sacha. I think that these exercises really bring out the feelings of emotions that can be hard for some people to express. Many people do not like to show emotion, and these practices allow one to visit tha area of themselves and obtain that other, totally different state of consciousness. Nevertheless, the real key is to practice them on a daily basis in order to strenghten one's self.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ive always found that when you control your breathing and you control your mind at the same time you are able to focus on things much easier and everything becomes clearer. I like the idea of making your mind clear so that your are able to function at a much higher level.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very interesting that you had difficulty with the imagery yet soured in the emotional practices. I found it difficult to keep my mind still during the Subtle mind practice. I still struggle with it and hope that over time I will see improvements. (I'm just glad to know that I am not the only one who has a nearly endless monologue running through her head). :)

    I truly enjoyed focusing my mind and attention on those I admired, respected and wanted to emulate. Meeting Aesceplius practice gave me insight into how I wanted to make changes to my life and create opportunities to make those things happen. However, I have relied more on my Bible study, prayer and self-discipline training CD's to assist me with these goals.

    This loving-kindness practice seems to be my favorite to this day. It promotes positive energy, patience, and kindness towards loved ones as well as those we don't usually get along with. No matter what your background, this practice can only do a person, and a culture good. Don't you think?

    Melissa Rasberry

    ReplyDelete