I rated my physical condition as a 7, my spiritual health as a 6 and my psychological health as an 8. These are the same rating I gave myself in our final paper and for basically the same reasons. I’ll be honest; I did not do that well in meeting the goals that I set out. I increased my spiritual practice a little…I have completed Tai chi maybe 3 or 4 times since unit 3 posting, and have meditated a few times as well as participated in our assigned contemplative practices, however I did not achieved the 15 minutes a day of spiritual practice I had set out to do. Physically I planned on exercises 1 hour a day. I think this was too ambitious. My new goals are more realistic and also more scheduled so I think I will be more successful in achieving the goals I set out in our paper. Although I rated myself the same psychologically, I feel that I have improved in this area a little. I continue to be less stressed about all the things I’m trying to fit into life and less reactive to certain situation. This class has helped me immensely. Although I did not change my practices a great deal during the course, I have learned more about the importance of contemplative practices and have been inspired by my classmate, professor, and by Dacher’ book to strive for a higher and more holistic health.
Sacha I too enjoyed the book very much. I have decided that during our break this next week, I would like to re-read it and spend more time enjoying the book instead of educational reading of the book. Like you I feel there is room for improvement on my goals and I commend you on acknowledging that your original goal may not have been realistic at the time. That is the great thing about goals; we can change them as needed. Good luck with your future endeavors and achieving integral health.
ReplyDeleteSacha,
ReplyDeleteGreat blog entry this week, ma'am. The thing that strikes me the most about it is how honest you are about your personal assessment. I really think that being able to level with yourself is one of the best way to go about making yourself better. For so many people it seems that the way that they make things better is by obscuring the truth behind appreciable lies. Nothing wrong with that as everyone gets to the bottom of things by many different means. It just seems like it's much more productive to honestly size up the situation and change the plan of attack accordingly. Which is what you're going to do. Best of luck, ma'am!
Thanks,
James Banks
Do you think the process of personal growth is something that takes time for a person to achieve and it isnt something that is done over night? I didnt make any gains or fall back any in mine but at the same time i wasnt very commmited to the aspect of growing. Do you think a person needs to be able to concentrate on something like this to grow?
ReplyDeleteI think that people have to be ready for change and really feel they want to change. While I think that this class was incredibly helpful in showing me which areas I need to work on, the only areas I improved in were the areas that I was working on before this class. I think that you have to want the change yourself, not be expected to change because of a class. I also think that setting reasonable goals, time limits and rewards will help you to meet your goals. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi Sacha,
ReplyDeleteAlthough you didn't meet the goals that you set, it seems that you have a much better understanding of where you desire to be and what it will take to get there. I'm sure that you'll find time to implement the necessary practices into your life when that time is right. I also believe this to be true for myself.
Good Luck!